As July’s long days come to an end, teachers begin to really focus on the school year ahead, anxious to set in motion the gems from summer learning and PD. A good portion of this energy goes into setting up the classroom, a huge task and one teachers feel must be done perfectly to warmly welcome their students for the new year. In a blended environment, teachers also ponder how to account for stations and flexibility in movement between learning activities. Recently on our #BLinAction chat, a participant asked just this question. My answer was to let the students co-create it alongside the teacher. Here’s how it could look in action:
Atmosphere & Decorations:
- Voice: Instead a room filled with positive messages, students find headings that set the tone for the environment but leave space for their contributions. Ex: We believe… (students fill in the wall of beliefs about the way friends should learn and interact together)
- Inspiration: On tables, they find magazines where they cut out pictures that inspire them to learn. They add these to inspiration corners or stations for choice-based discovery. Teachers use these to build an inspiration wall or sort them to create learning centers aligned with those inspirations. (Ex: adventurous pictures for Explore areas of the room; cozy pictures for Reading nooks).
- BYOC: Instead of spending a lot of money on cozy, flexible seating, there is an invitation to students to BYOC, or Bring Your Own Chair. Teachers review guidelines with students and student bring in a cozy chair that fits the guidelines if they choose to.
- Centers: Teachers lead a discussion on which centers will be part of the basic setup and ask for suggestions on other centers. Students receive a blank paper on which to suggest seating clusters and room arrangement.
- Choice: One corner of the room could be assigned to students to design on a rotation. They choose the learning activity there, bring in the decorations and teach the class about the purpose of the station for the weeks it is there.
- Models: Teachers can explain the blended models which will be used in student language. Starting with just one (ex: Station Rotation) may help build understanding in a scaffolded manner. Teachers can engage students in the setting of rules/expectations for each station, from how it should look/feel/sound to how to get help if not at the teacher station.
- Peer Support: Teachers can engage students in thinking about what types of class jobs would help make sure learning is consistently the focus in class. These can range from a Tech Desk help to Chief Cheerleader. Students can apply for jobs listing their qualifications and contribute to thinking on length of term and how the jobs should rotate.
- Digital Contract: Guiding students through the creation of a digital contract is an essential component of Blended Learning success. Rather than have an honorable use policy already in place, teachers can facilitate the collaborative creation of one.
- Transitions/Choice: In blended learning, there are a lot of transitions to plan for: coming into the class, rotating on/off devices, moving between stations. Sometimes these are dictated by routines and timers, which other times the movements is more flexible by choice. Teachers can engage students in creating the expectations for transitions and a way to show accountability for choice where agency is high. For example, you may design a system where all stations are listen on a wall and students put a clothes pin with their name where they are moving.
Even choosing one strategy for building agency in classroom design is a significant opportunity to teach students about 21st century learning, set expectations for the class environment, and build agency. By setting the standard for agency at the start of the year, we create a culture of personal accountability for self and class community. We also gain back some valuable time before the doors open to shift planning energy to maximizing personalization and engagement in learning.
For more reading on getting ready for the school year, check out my #BLinAction coauthor, Catlin Tucker's great post on how to get the most out of the first day of school: "Don't Waste the First Day of School."
Create the perfect office space with the Ameriwood Home Dakota L-Shaped Desk with BookshelvesReplyDelete
Only aspire to mention ones content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb and that i may think you’re a guru for this issue. High-quality along with your concur permit me to to seize your current give to keep modified by using approaching blog post. Thanks a lot hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done.ReplyDelete
Digital Media Marketing Company
This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck embroidery logo digitizingReplyDelete
Designers do their job well with help of researchers who study a target audience or with advertising specialists to effectively produce a brand identity that achieves brand recognition.lankstinukų gamybaReplyDelete
What a great post it is! thanks for sharing your valuable blog.ReplyDelete
Adaptive Personalized Learning
If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Webdesign bureauReplyDelete
Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. WarmtepompReplyDelete
That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. WarmtepompReplyDelete
Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Webdesign bureauReplyDelete
SEO in 2019? Een professioneel SEO bureau om uw bedrijf te laten groeien? Haal ook 300-500% meer ROI uit uw website! SEO in 2019 | SEO Zoekmachine Optimalisatie | SEO BureauReplyDelete
This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! Webdesign bureauReplyDelete
Thanks for the best blog. it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. WebdesignReplyDelete
By making a stage that supported these a great many clients, organizations could advance their administration or item to what was viewed as the up and coming age of processing purchasers. WebdesignReplyDelete
This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.ReplyDelete
Private cloud company in Karachi
Simplicity and consistency are some of the factors you should be looking into and focusing to. And establish your brand on how you want users to see you on Digital media.ReplyDelete
Thank you for an additional great post. Exactly where else could anybody get that kind of facts in this kind of a ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m around the appear for this kind of data. development studiosReplyDelete
This blog is so valuable. A present for the blog perusers.ReplyDelete
I totally understand what you have explained. Actually, I browsed throughout your several other content articles and I do believe you are absolutely correct. Congrats with this particular blog. development agenciesReplyDelete
Just wanna comment that you have a very nice site, I the style and design it actually stands out. ipad device templateReplyDelete
you are in reality a excellent webmaster. The website loading pace is incredible. It seems that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a wonderful task on this subject! laptop mockupReplyDelete
Great article mate, keep the great work, just shared this with ma friendz android phone psdReplyDelete
Thank you a lot for making this website . I m into gambling niche and have found this website using search on google . Will be sure to share . I am affiliate and have found your site very informational Many thanks , see ya. :S webflow agencyReplyDelete
I am glad to be one of many visitors on this outstanding web site (:, thanks for posting . web development companyReplyDelete
Hey, you?re the goto expert. Thanks for haingng out here. branding companyReplyDelete
I like this post, enjoyed this one thanks for posting . top branding agenciesReplyDelete
Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue, so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks instagram likes app freeReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
I got what you intend,bookmarked , very decent site. branding agency sfReplyDelete
Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers! san francisco brand agencyReplyDelete
I like this website because so much useful material on here : D. ux san franciscoReplyDelete
cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. buy instagram likes paypal ukReplyDelete
We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. teach to oneReplyDelete
You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. security guards supplyReplyDelete
Technology paves the way for investigation agencies to keep track of information and evidence. corporate detectives in spainReplyDelete
I invite you to the page where you can read with interesting information on similar topics. marilyn monroe bubble gum canvasReplyDelete
Logo design is perhaps the most provocative and invigorating pieces of the visual computerization industry. Vector Logo Design ServicesReplyDelete
I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. website design MichiganReplyDelete
If you are looking for DNA Testing Services. Visit DNA Bio Services to know more about our Services.ReplyDelete
I really like and appreciate your blog post. Much thanks again. Want more.security agency singaporeReplyDelete
Really appreciate you sharing this post. Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.security guard agencyReplyDelete
In order to achieve business growth you really want to match the qualities of the Web Design Toronto service with the desired ambition and functions expected of a website.ReplyDelete
Leaving well placed blog comments is a great way to accelerate the flow of traffic to your site. An important part of the blog building process is establishing links with other sites and posting comments helps you do just that. Read more to see 3 tips you can use when you post comments to help you build credibility and attract links for your blog. web hosting servicesReplyDelete
SEO - Search Engine Optimisation, is an extremely valuable skill. The job websites - at a time of increasing unemployment - seem to be full of very well paid positions for SEO executives. The reason for this is that actually, there are very few people in the UK who are truly skilled in SEO - and for that reason, those that are tend to choose to work for themselves regardless of the large amount of money they could earn working for an SEO firm. https://hostinglelo.in/ReplyDelete
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. palos hills IL Real Estate AgentsReplyDelete
I am so grateful for your article. Much thanks again. Fantastic.ReplyDelete
Google Ads and ppc company